Tuesday 28 April 2009

British racecourses


British racecourses








I've visited most of them

During the seventies, I visited many of Britain's racecourses, some of them several times. I had an ambition to visit all of them at least once. Lanark and Wye both closed before I had a chance to visit them, but I went racing at Teesside Park a few times; it closed in 1981, the site being used for a shopping centre. After I went freelance in the eighties, I didn't have much time to go racing as I often worked away from home, although I managed to visit some racecourses that I hadn't previously been to. During The nineties job quest, I moved to Birmingham to improve my chances of finding work. While I still had some money, I visited a few more racecourses that I hadn't previously been to, but which were within easy reach of Birmingham. I visited two more during my last period of employment, leaving me with just four racecourses unvisited and still in business, these being Fakenham, Folkestone, Fontwell Park and Hamilton Park. Since then, Great Leighs opened but closed again due to financial problems with no date set for re-opening, and Ffos Las has also opened. Will I get round to visiting all these? Probably not, although I don't rule it out.

British racecourses
Name Type of racing
Aintree   Jumps
Ascot Flat Jumps
Ayr Flat Jumps
Bangor-on-Dee   Jumps
Bath Flat  
Beverley Flat  
Brighton Flat  
Carlisle Flat Jumps
Cartmel   Jumps
Catterick Bridge Flat Jumps
Cheltenham   Jumps
Chepstow Flat Jumps
Chester Flat  
Doncaster Flat Jumps
Epsom Downs Flat  
Exeter   Jumps
Fakenham   Jumps
Ffos Las Flat Jumps
Folkestone Flat Jumps
Fontwell Park   Jumps
Goodwood Flat  
Great Leighs Flat  
Hamilton Park Flat  
Haydock Park Flat Jumps
Hereford   Jumps
Hexham   Jumps
Huntingdon   Jumps
Kelso   Jumps
Kempton Park Flat Jumps
Leicester Flat Jumps
Lingfield Park Flat Jumps
Ludlow   Jumps
Market Rasen   Jumps
Musselburgh Flat Jumps
Newbury Flat Jumps
Newcastle Flat Jumps
Newmarket Flat  
Newton Abbot   Jumps
Nottingham Flat  
Perth   Jumps
Plumpton   Jumps
Pontefract Flat  
Redcar Flat  
Ripon Flat  
Salisbury Flat  
Sandown Park Flat Jumps
Sedgefield   Jumps
Southwell Flat Jumps
Stratford-on-Avon   Jumps
Taunton   Jumps
Thirsk Flat  
Towcester   Jumps
Uttoxeter   Jumps
Warwick Flat Jumps
Wetherby   Jumps
Wincanton   Jumps
Windsor Flat  
Wolverhampton Flat  
Worcester   Jumps
Yarmouth Flat  
York Flat  

No comments: